Despite the FDA concerns, CBD is considered safe, and it’s well-tolerated by most people. During the summer of 2018, The World Health Organization (WHO) released an official memo addressing the safety and efficacy of the compound.
The WHO stated that “CBD is generally well-tolerated with a good safety profile and doesn’t appear to be a risk for abuse or dependence.” Adverse effects might not be caused by CBD itself but as a result of drug-drug interactions between the compound and other medications, the organization added.
But CBD isn’t perfect, some side effects were reported during Epidiolex clinical trials. Patients experienced adverse symptoms such as:
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
- Lower blood pressure
- Liver damage
These symptoms are dose-dependent, meaning that they appear when you take too much CBD. That’s why it’s crucial to dose CBD the right way.
Research reporting the side effects of this compound is limited, there’s no convincing evidence in favor or against the safety of CBD for any particular demographic.
The stakes, however, are higher when consuming products from the black market. Ingesting questionable products expose you to unsafe mislabeled CBD.
In a 2017 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, it was found that only 30% of the available products are reliable. The other 70% don’t come closer to what’s printed on their labels. Some contain too much CBD others don’t contain CBD at all.
Other studies report nasty chemicals, pesticides, and heavy metals in the content of illicit products. Worse yet, some items were found containing a dangerous synthetic street drug.
Be a savvy shopper and skip that unknown-quality CBD from the gas station, always look for top-quality products online or at licensed dispensaries.